Vlaming Head

Australia

Construction commenced in 1910 and the light was lit on 10 November 1912. Delays were caused by bad weather, dysentery and the need to bring in all materials by sea from Fremantle. The height from ground to the vane is 54ft.

The lighthouse is situated on Vlamingh Head, but the name of the lighthouse is spelled without the H. Public Works Department general drawings created in 1910 have the spelling Vlaming.

Fuel supplies and provisions for the keepers were ferried from the beach by horse drawn carriages on a tramway.

The light was replaced by an electric light on the VLF tower at the Harold Holt Communication Centre on 21 April 1967. The lens and all apparatus are still in place.

The lighthouse and keepers' quarters were placed on the State Heritage Register in 2007.

In 2012 the light was re-lit for a special centenary celebration.

There is currently a proposal to build a resort in the vicinity which would incorporate the lightkeepers' quarters, and include a viewing platform near the lighthouse.

Manufacture Date 1911
Lighthouse Construction 1912
Country Australia
Commissioning Body Government of Western Australia
Lens Order 2nd order
Lens Type Revolving
Status publish
Light Character Double flash every 7.5 secs
Lighthouse Markings Unpainted concrete tower. Lantern white.
Lighthouse Parts Lantern (presumably) and apparatus -- clockwork has brass Chance maker's plate on it.
Management Body Ports Authority Shire of Exmouth
Preserver Unsure.
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Open Status (Site) Open
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates -21.8083772511,114.1104084208
Other ARLHS AUS-165.
Inactive Chance Lens Deactivated 21 April 1967

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.