Sumburgh Head Lighthouse

United Kingdom

Sumburgh Head Lighthouse is located at the southern headland of mainland Shetland.
With the increase in coastal traffic in the 18th century, the need for a lighthouse became more urgent.

Building commenced in January 1819 by John Reid, a builder from Peterhead. During its construction, the Freemason of Lerwick, bound from Peterhead with glass and materials for the lighthouse, foundered at the entrance to Greetness Voe. Only one of the crew survived.
The tower was first lit in 1821 and contained 26 parabolic reflectors with lamps instead of the usual 21. It initially displayed a fixed white light, visible for 24 miles at an elevation of 299ft above sea level.

The optical apparatus is group flashing with Stevenson’s equiangular refractor showing flashes every 30 seconds. The contractors were Chance Brothers & Co Ltd of Birmingham and also James Dove & Co of Greenside, Edinburgh.

On 19th January 1864, the Royal Victoria, a coal ship bound from Sunderland to Calcutta, foundered near the lighthouse. Of the 32 crew, 13 perished, including Captain Leslie, who was buried at Dunrossness Churchyard. His parents presented a bell to be used as a fog signal at Sumburgh Head. This bell was used until the fog signal was established in 1906. The bell was removed and hung in the Parish Church at Dunrossness, where it remains. The fog signal, which sounded one blast every 90 seconds, was discontinued in 1987.

The lighthouse was automated in Spring 1991, and the Category B listed dwelling was bought privately in October 1993. The Shetland Amenity Trust has since bought it, a charitable organisation set up to conserve and enhance Shetland’s heritage.

There is an excellent visitor centre and cafe on the lighthouse grounds.

The area is also managed by the RSPB.

Manufacture Date 1914 (1870 in David Encill's list 1856-95)
Lighthouse Construction 1821
Country United Kingdom
Commissioning Body Northern Lighthouse Board
Lens Order 1st order
Lens Type Revolving
Status publish
Light Character Fl (3) W 30s
Lighthouse Markings White tower, 17 metres high
Lighthouse Parts Incandescent Vapour Burner - See photo
Management Body Ports Authority Northern Lighthouse Board
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations In very good condition
Open Status (Site) Open
Open Status (Tower) Open
Coordinates 59.854077791,-1.2748849763

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.