South East Point (Wilson’s Promontory) Lighthouse

Australia

The Wilsons Promontory Lighthouse is the most southerly lighthouse on mainland Victoria. The 18 kilometre walk is well worth it to experience its spectacular location.

Wilsons Promontory marks the southern-most point of mainland Australia, and overlooks a relatively narrow shipping channel through Bass Strait between Tasmania and Victoria. The promontory was first sighted by Bass and Flinders in 1798, and was named by Governor Hunter in honour of Thomas Wilson, a merchant engaged in the Australian trade.

The Wilsons Promontory Lighthouse and keepers’ cottages were built by convict labourers on a 90 metre cliff on the point, over the period 1853-1859, using locally sourced granite. The works were supervised by James Balmain and Charles Maplestone of the Public Works Department, and contracted to P.S. Sinclair of North Melbourne.

The lighthouse construction was shared between the Victorian and New South Wales governments. This original light, a fixed catadioptric light using 32 wicks in parabolic mirrors, was replaced in 1913 by a Chance Brothers vapourised kerosene incandescent mantle.

The parabolic mirrors were replaced in 1975 by a generator-powered electric lamp array when the light was converted to electricity, which in turn was converted to solar power in 1993.

The rough circular stone tower was originally painted white. In the 1980s, the paintwork was stripped off, and the tower has been completely restored to the original stone finish. The white light, 117 metres above sea level, is visible for 25 miles.

Manufacture Date 1913
Lighthouse Construction 1853 - 1859, light first illuminated 14 July 1859
Country Australia
Commissioning Body Victorian and New South Wales governments
Lens Order 3rd order
Lens Type Revolving
Status publish
Light Character Fl. W. 7.5 s
Lighthouse Markings Grey stone tower, white lantern. 19 m (62 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery. Tower unpainted; lantern and gallery painted white. A well-preserved light station with several keeper's houses and other buildings. A resident caretaker helps maintain the station. Three keeper's houses are available for overnight rental (reservations essential).
Management Body Ports Authority Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Preserver Parks Victoria
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations Tower and light are well maintained. Current Optic Tideland Nova 250 LED beacon located inside NAL1 lantern Original Optic Thomas Wilkins & Sons Catoptric Chance Brothers lens installed in 1913
Open Status (Site) Open
Open Status (Tower) Open
Coordinates -39.1295881997,146.4244598392
Other Visitors must walk 23km from the Mount Oberon Car Park to the Lighthouse. The last 3 kms are over boulders. There is a steep driveway to access the cottages and lighthouses. ARLHS AUS-171; Admiralty K2492; NGA 7300.

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.