Rhuvaal (Rubh’ A’ Mhail)

United Kingdom

Ruvaal is situated at the north end of the island of Islay. The Board of Trade requested that the light should show towards the westward, as far as the direction of the Neva Rocks. Consequently, it was found necessary to design a tower 100ft in height. The total cost of the lighthouse was £6,500.

The light was first exhibited on 1 January 1859. It was a fixed, 2nd class dioptric light.

Access to the lighthouse has always been difficult due to its remote location, bringing in supplies and relief keepers was eased by the use of helicopters in the 1980s. Helicopters were also used to help in construction of an overhead electricity line to the site in 1981. One helicopter crashed during the project, and the pilot survived the accident.

On 16 February 1981 the lighthouse helicopter “KILO PAPA” was engaged on work with “Highland Cables”, a company contracted to put the mains power line out to Ruvaal from Bunnahabhainn, a distance of about 4 miles. The first two poles had been successfully landed in place at the lighthouse end of the line, when the helicopter attempting to land the third, struck the pole with the main rotor cutting the top section off the pole and destroying the rotor. The helicopter then crashed, ending up with the broken stump of pole lying across the tail boom. The pilot had a remarkable escape.

A new lighting system consisting of a gearless pedestal with catadioptric sealed beam lamp arrays was installed in 1982. The gearless pedestal uses a low-voltage rotary mechanism which suits a wide range of power supplies, and the lamp units are light, produce a good beam for a very low input, and being sealed in a vacuum, do not deteriorate or tarnish. The lamps are mass produced and look rather like car headlights. The apparatus is convenient to install and maintain, and the cleaning of the lighthouse is much easier, with no lenses to polish and no machinery to oil.
In the autumn of 1981, the lightkeeper’s life was lit up on Ruvaal by the introduction of helicopter reliefs at this station. This meant that adverse weather conditions no longer played a major part in the relief of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was subsequently automated in 1983.

The new supply meant that a sealed beam electric lighting unit could be installed in 1982, and the light was automated the following year. The keepers were withdrawn and the cottages were sold, which are now private property. The tower and its light are still operated and maintained by the Northern Lighthouse Board.
The original 3rd order fresnel optic was preserved and now forms part of a garden feature at Colonsay House on the nearby island of Colonsay.

There have always been deer around Ruvaal Lighthouse and you might find them feeding inside the station grounds at night.

It should be noted that at some sites the Northern Lighthouse Board have sold some redundant buildings within the lighthouse complex and are not responsible for the maintenance of these building.

Manufacture Date 1857
Lighthouse Construction 1859
Country United Kingdom
Commissioning Body Northern Lighthouse Board
Lens Order 2nd order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character FL (3) 15s 45 m 19 Nm
Lighthouse Markings White tower 34 metres high. There are 158 steps to the top of tower
Lighthouse Parts None Known
Management Body Ports Authority Northern Lighthouse Board
Preserver None known
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Climate Change Impact Observations No
Condition Observations Active and appears well looked after
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 55.9363483355,-6.1234719359
Other 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruvaal_Lighthouse 2. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lighthouses_in_Argyll_and_Bute 3. https://canmore.org.uk/site/38155/islay-rhuvaal-lighthouse-and-keepers-houses ARLHS SCO-183; Admiralty A4236; NGA 4208.

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.