Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Lighthouse Location
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.
Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
New Zealand
The first steps toward the lighthouse were taken by the then settlers in Wellington in 1841 due to the number of ship wrecks that had taken place. Unfortunately government finance was not forthcoming so the settlers erected their own beacons. By April 1842 the one at Pencarrow Head had been destroyed in a gale.
The Wellington Borough Council was then given powers to erect beacons and lighthouses but were unable to due to lack of funds and power was then reverted back to the colonial governors.. Eventually the colonial government agreed to fund a replacement beacon however it proved totally inadequate.
Following the wreck of the Maria in July 1851 when 26 lives were lost a public meeting was held and a deputation sent to Governor George Grey who agreed to advance money for a lighthouse and keepers accommodation which was to be funded by an increased duty on spirits.
The extra duty was imposed but all the settlers received was a temporary keepers cottage along with a keeper a Mr George Bennett and a light placed in the cottage window.
Plans for the lighthouse were then put on hold however in 1854 it was agreed that the present arrangement was inadequate but by 1857 no progress had been made.
Wellingtons provincial government then asked for a previously designed lighthouse by Edward Roberts to be built in England. The goverment opposed such a move however the council continued to go ahead and in 1857 accepted a tender of £2435 from Messrs Cochrane and Company of Woodside Iron Works in Dudley. This company were just a few miles from Chance Brothers of Smethwick who supplied the optic so it is most likely everything was shipped together.
The lighthouse arrived in Wellington on 21st June 1858 on board the Ambrosine.
Further delays were encountered as the 480 packages of the assembly had to be transferred across to Pencarrow Head.
Eventually in September 1858 a brigantine Caroline was used to transfer the packages which then had to be hauled up the hillside to the site.
By January 1st 1859 the light was lit for the first time. As already mentioned George Bennett was the original lighthouse keeper however he unfortunately lost his life in a boating incident in 1855. His wife Mary then took on the position of keeper and was the only ever female lighthouse keeper in New Zealand.
In 1906 a second lighthouse was erected at the bottom of the cliffs, a further new light being constructed at Baring Head in 1935 which eventually led to the deactivation of the first lighthouse.
As the lighthouse's significance as a navigational aid declined its recognition as being of historic importance grew. In 1966 the lighthouse was transferred to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust who have since become Heritage New Zealand. Between 1974 and 1980 a significant restoration project was completed and the lighthouse is now well maintained.
In 1941 the light mechanism and I presume the Chance optic were removed.
| Manufacture Date | 1858 |
|---|---|
| Lighthouse Construction | 1859 |
| Country | New Zealand |
| Commissioning Body | Wellington Provincial Government |
| Lens Order | 2nd order |
| Lens Type | Fixed |
| Status | publish |
| Light Character | Unknown |
| Lighthouse Markings | A tapered octagonal cast iron tower 11.5 metres high with balcony, lantern and weather vane. The tower is all painted white apart from a black lantern roof. |
| Lighthouse Parts | Unknown. |
| Management Body Ports Authority | Heritage New Zealand |
| Preserver | Heritage New Zealand |
| Coastal Erosion Vulnerability | |
| Condition Observations | The lighthouse is kept well maintained. |
| Open Status (Site) | Open |
| Open Status (Tower) | Closed |
| Coordinates | -41.3589061984,174.8500488537 |
| Other | The area has no road access though can be accessed by foot however you should allow 4 hours to walk to it. This was the first lighthouse in New Zealand, and the only lighthouse in New Zealand to ever have a woman keeper. It was replaced by Baring Head Lighthouse in 1935. Upper (Pencarrow (1) (Old Pencarrow Head)): ARLHS NZL-068. Lower (Pencarrow (2) (Pencarrow Sector)): ARLHS NZL-039; Admiralty K4006; NGA 4588. |
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.