Ile aux Fouquets (Ile aux Phare)

Mauritius

The lighthouse was built on one of three islands just outside Mahebourg harbour. The port was the original French settlement on the island however in the early 20th century the British moved all port operations to the other side of the island and from this point the lighthouse was abandoned and fell into ruin.
The lighthouse and associated buildings were built from basalt (parts of the spiral staircase are still visible inside) with carved door and window lintels and coral masonry.
The optic which was made by Chance Brothers of Smethwick near Birmingham is no longer in situ, whereabouts being unknown and the lantern area is ruined with no roof for protection. Various videos are available on YouTube showing the island and the lighthouse ruin.

Manufacture Date 1862
Lighthouse Construction 1864
Country Mauritius
Commissioning Body Unknown
Lens Order 1st order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character Unknown
Lighthouse Markings The lighthouse is now a ruin on the Ile aux Fouquets.
Lighthouse Parts None known.
Management Body Ports Authority Islets National Park
Preserver Islets National Park
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations Lighthouse and associated buildings are all ruins.
Open Status (Site) Open
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates -20.3959779339,57.777401176
Other The island can be visited by tour boats from the mainland. Île au Phare, also known as Île aux Fouquets, is a rocky island on the Grand Port Bay, east of the main island of the Republic of Mauritius and in the immediate vicinity of the Vacoas islet. It is one of the country’s national parks. ARLHS MAT-002. Video: https://youtu.be/tAWpf-MrL_Y

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.