Watchet Harbour (unpublished.duplicate)

In the 1850s the West Somerset Mineral Railway was nearing completion. Parts of the harbour had fallen into disrepair, and boats were beached and loaded direct from carts brought onto the foreshore. It was recognised that improvements were needed for the sake of the prosperity of the town. The Watchet Harbour Act was passed in 1857, placing it under the control of Commissioners; they built a new east pier and rebuilt the west pier; the work was finished in 1862, and 500 ton vessels could enter the harbour. The west pier on which the lighthouse stands was constructed in 1860, at the same time as the current east pier, by Hennets of Bridgwater, and rebuilt in 1905. The lighthouse was built by Hennet, Spinks and Else of Bridgwater for £75. The cast iron structure was topped with an oil lamp.

Manufacture Date 1904
Lighthouse Construction 1862
Commissioning Body Watchet Harbour Commissioners
Lens Order 5th order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character FG
Lighthouse Markings Tapered red hexagonal tower with white lantern, and green lens, green roof. 6.7m tall.
Management Body Ports Authority Watchet Harbour Marina
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Open Status (Site) Open
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 51.1840025074,-3.3286201915
Other https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27775/page/2104 The London Gazette March 17 1905 published the change in colour of lights shown

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.