Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Lighthouse Location
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.
Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Australia. Tasmania
The Table Cape's 25 metre Lighthouse is set on a sheer cliff edge 179.9 metres above the sea.
Its beginning was marked with the tragic death of the headkeeper’s 14 month old son.
History
Table Cape area first settled and developed by the Van Diemen’s Land Company in the 1820’s.
Mr C.B.M. Fenton, a former mariner, kept a light burning in the front window of his house to guide mariners during the night. The port had grown during the 1850′ to cope with the burgeoning timber trade. The local marine board established two iron beacons at the mouth of the Inglis River in 1870. These were constructed by Mr William Peart, who later became Harbour Master.
After several shipping incidents in the area, Table Cape was examined by Mr J.C. Climie, a railway engineer, for its suitability for a lighthouse. Designed by Huckson and Hutchinson of Hobart and built by a local builder, Mr. John Luck, bricks for the tower came from Victoria as ballast. Other materials were brought to the site from Wynyard, 7 kilometres to the south, by bullock wagon.
Less than three weeks after the opening of the light the headkeeper’s son, Bertie died at the age of 14 months. The cause is not known, but it is the cause of a sad entry in the lighthouse log book: “Wind south. A strong breeze and misty weather. Employed in the lighthouse and cleaning up about station. At 5.10 p.m. Bertie Jackson, son of the head lightkeeper, departed this life aged one year and two months.”
The undertaker struggled up from Wynyard on horse-back with the small casket and after consultation with the clergy recommended that Bertie be buried near the lighthouse were his family could tend to his grave. He was placed in a grave marked by a fuchsia bush. The bush has long since disappeared, but locals who knew the place have recently constructed a memorial.
The light was originally powered by an oil burner and had to be manually tendered. Bertram Jackson (the younger), son of first keeper Robert Jackson remembers those days:
“The lamp had to be lit every day, as soon as the sun dipped into the sea, and it had to be kept alight all the time until the sun rose again. There were always three of them as I remember it, and they each took a turn to watch the light. They used a special oil called mineral colza, which used to be carted up in big drums by bullock wagon. It was a very clear, white light, and better than kerosene because it caused less soot.” He went on to state that by day, the keepers used to pull heavy curtains round the light house windows, to protect the reflecting lenses from damage by the sun.
The light was converted to vapourised kerosene in around 1913. At this time the manning was reduced from three to two keepers. Converted to automatic acetylene operation in 1920, the lightkeepers were withdrawn in 1923.
The cottages were demolished in 1926 due to rapid deterioration.
In 1979 major works were undertaken. The lantern room was rebuilt and mains electricity was connected with an electric lamp and standby battery bank being installed.
| Manufacture Date | 1887 |
|---|---|
| Lighthouse Construction | 1 August 1888 |
| Country | Australia. Tasmania |
| Commissioning Body | Commonwealth Lighthouse Service; Consolidated Marine Board |
| Lens Order | 2nd order |
| Lens Type | Revolving |
| Status | publish |
| Light Character | Fl WR (2) 10 secs |
| Lighthouse Markings | White painted brick tower |
| Lighthouse Parts | Lantern room |
| Management Body Ports Authority | Australian Maritime Safety Authority |
| Coastal Erosion Vulnerability | |
| Condition Observations | Good |
| Open Status (Site) | Open |
| Open Status (Tower) | Open |
| Coordinates | -40.946595,145.729065 |
| Other | Tours of the lighthouse are available: https://www.tablecapelighthousetours.com/ ; https://www.facebook.com/tablecapelighthouse The adjacent tulip farm is a blaze of colour during the flowering season in October. ARLHS AUS-157; Admiralty K3532; NGA 6984. |
| Data Source | 1. Personal knowledge; 2. https://lighthouses.org.au/tas/table-cape-lighthouse/; 3. http://www.seasidelights.com.au/au/tas/tablecape.asp?fState=Tas |
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.