Sgeir Bhuidhe

United Kingdom

Sgeir Bhuidhe’s first lighthouse was built in 1903 and designed by David A Stevenson.

The original tower was a 7 metre high structure, consisting of a brick base, iron Acetylene tank and Lantern, with a gallery surrounding it.

In 2002 the old light was dismantled and replaced with this new light, which resembles a traditional lighthouse. The tower is fiberglass and requires much less maintenance than the previous tower.

The original lantern was given to the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses, who have loaned it to Port Appin, to ensure it’s preservation. The inside of the lantern room now houses an array of information boards, showing the history of the small village and it’s history, as well as the history of the lighthouse, and a small model showing it’s original form.

The top lantern from the original Sgeir Bhuidhe Lighthouse was donated to the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses by the Northern Lighthouse Board. They loaned it to the community of Port Appin. Inside the lantern are information displays and the history of the village and the lighthouse. There is also a small model of the original lighthouse.

Manufacture Date 1903
Lighthouse Construction 1903
Country United Kingdom
Commissioning Body Northern Lighthouse Board
Lens Order 4th order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character FL W/R (2) 7s 8 m 9 Nm
Lighthouse Markings White tower
Lighthouse Parts None Known
Management Body Ports Authority Northern Lighthouse Board
Preserver Original lantern donated to Museum of Scottish Lighthouses
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations Active and in good order.
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 56.5605613285,-5.4105263199
Other In 2001, Appin Historical Society were concerned that the Northern Lighthouse Board planned to demolish the Sgeir Buidhe light, just off Port Appin, and replace it with a modern rectangular structure. The light had been the subject of many paintings and photographs and was a much-loved Appin structure. Replacement was necessitated on the grounds of reliability, improved safety and the state of the existing structure that was erected at the end of the 19th century. Thanks to the combined efforts of the AHS, Appin Community Council and many local residents, the NLB agreed to reconsider its plans, and, following discussions, proposed a design more in keeping with the existing structure. The offered the old top (lantern) section of the light to the community on permanent loan for restoration on shore. a sub-committee of the AHS was appointed to determine the feasibility of the restoration and display of the old light. Subsequent action by unknown protestors resulted in the lighthouse turning pink with yellow spots overnight and sporting a face like the television character, Mr Blobby, much to the surprise and amusement of local residents, but also attracting the attention of the media worldwide and threatening the whole restoration project. After careful research and soundings, a suitable site was identified outside Port Appin Village Hall and their committee kindly agreed it could be used for the project. Foundation were designed and plans drawn up in order to obtain planning approval. With advice from the NLB and the Northern Lighthouse Museum, a plan was formulated for the restoration and reassembly of the lantern, as well as for mounting displays inside the lantern, which are viewed from a circular external path. Panels visible from the outside of the lighthouse explain its operation and history, as well as providing information of local history, sites to visit, wildlife and local services in the Appin area. Fundraising events were held to finance the project and a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund enabled the project to go ahead and, after several delays, the NLB dismantled the lantern in 2002, allowing completion in November 2002. ARLHS SCO-360; Admiralty A4160; NGA 4076.
Inactive Chance Lens Deactivated 2001

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.