We're hiring
Chance Heritage Trust has two new part-time roles based in Smethwick. Applications close on Friday 4 September 2026.
Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
United Kingdom
Portland Bill originally had two lighthouses, the Old Lower Lighthouse and the Old Higher Lighthouse, constructed in 1716 and re-built in 1869. They were decommissioned when the current one was opened in 1906.
| Manufacture Date | The Chance Brothers lens was fitted in 1905 and first lit in 1906. The lens had four asymmetrical catadioptric lens panels and a concave prismatic reflector. |
|---|---|
| Lighthouse Construction | In 1906 a new lighthouse at Bill Point was built to replace the two old ones. |
| Country | United Kingdom |
| Commissioning Body | Trinity House |
| Lens Order | 1st order |
| Lens Type | Revolving |
| Status | publish |
| Light Character | FL 4 20S 18 NM |
| Lighthouse Markings | 41 metre sandstone tower painted white with a red horizontal strip in the middle. |
| Lighthouse Parts | The lantern, pressurised vapour paraffin lamp, diaphone fog horn |
| Management Body Ports Authority | Trinity House |
| Preserver | Trinity House Maritime Charity, with a large number of volunteers manning the museum and giving lighthouse tours. |
| Coastal Erosion Vulnerability | |
| Climate Change Impact Observations | No |
| Condition Observations | Excellent condition, one of Britain's landmark lighthouses and tourist attractions. |
| Open Status (Site) | Open |
| Open Status (Tower) | Open |
| Coordinates | 50.5141105892,-2.4563933271 |
| Other | The lighthouse was the subject of a book and documentary film, Keepers of the Light, which give a beautifully illustrated history of the lighthouse and its current functioning. Video: https://youtu.be/3_DPxQo6iW0 |
| Inactive Chance Lens Deactivated | 2019 |
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.