Longships Lighthouse

United Kingdom

Trinity House was petitioned repeatedly by ship owners for a lighthouse to be built on one of the rocks off Land's End. In 1790 John Smeaton surveyed the area, and recommended either Wolf Rock or the Longships reef as potentially suitable locations. Trinity House sought a leaseholder, who would be responsible for building the tower and maintaining the light in return for the right to levy dues on passing ships. The lease was granted, for a period of fifty years, to a Lieutenant Henry Smith with a rental of £100. Work on site began in 1793; however, Smith underestimated the time required and costs involved, and struggled to raise sufficient funds (since the levying of dues depended on the lighthouse being operational).

In 1836 Trinity House bought out the lease of the remaining private lighthouses and bought out the lessees for £40,676 inclusive of life rents. This included Longships The Corporation built a set of keepers' dwellings onshore, near Sennen Cove facing the lighthouse out to sea, in 1855; keepers' families lived there and the keepers themselves when not on station.

In 1869 Trinity House began constructing a replacement tower to the designs of William Douglass. The building of the present granite tower used much of the equipment that had previously been used in the construction of the Wolf Rock Lighthouse. The new lighthouse was just over 117 feet (36 m) tall. It was equipped with a first-order fixed catadioptric optic built by Dr John Hopkinson of Chance Brothers. The lens array, itself over 9 feet (2.7 m) tall, was placed on a 4-foot-9-inch (1.45 m) pedestal within the lantern; the light source was an eight-wick 'Douglass' oil lamp, powered by colza.

The tower was first lit in December 1873, having cost £43,870 to build, and displayed a fixed white light with two red sectors (to warn ships away from the Brisons, to the north-east, and Rundlestone, to the south-east). Initially the new lighthouse was fitted with a fog bell, which sounded two strokes every fifteen seconds; After the new tower was completed Wyatt's tower was dismantled and the higher pinnacles of rock on Carn Bras were removed.

In 1883 Longstone was altered to show an occulting light (eclipsed for three seconds every minute). An explosive fog signal was introduced at the same time, using Brock fog rockets to sound a signal twice every ten minutes. The bell was retained for use as an alternative signal. The S.S. Bluejacket was wrecked on rocks near the lighthouse on a clear night in 1898, nearly demolishing the lighthouse in the process. Often due to bad weather there was a delay in relieving the men and supplying stores. In January 1901 there was some concern that the men had run short of provisions due to the severe weather. It was found that there was plenty of stores and the only hardship was their lack of tobacco. They had taken to smoking coffee, hops and tea leaves instead.

In 1904 the multi-wick lamp was replaced with a Matthews incandescent oil burner. A new Matthews-designed explosive fog signal apparatus was also installed on the lantern gallery at around the same time. In 1925 the lamp was again replaced, this time with a Hood petroleum vapour burner.
In 1967 the light was electrified and the tower modified: the 1873 optic was removed and in its place a pair of Lister diesel generator sets were installed on the old lamp room floor (occupying the lower part of the lantern). Above them an additional floor was inserted to support a new (reduced height) first-order dioptric optic, with an electric lamp replacing the old paraffin burner. It displayed an isophase light (one long five-second flash every ten seconds) and was visible up to 19 nautical miles (35 km) distant.

In 1974 a helipad was constructed on top of the lantern. In 1988 the lighthouse was automated: the keepers were withdrawn, a new set of generators was installed. It was initially monitored by a telemetry link from the Lizard Lighthouse; since 1996 it has been monitored from Harwich. The light was converted to solar power in 2005; it now flashes twice every ten seconds. Seaward flashes are white but they become red – due to tinted sectors – for any vessel straying too close to either Cape Cornwall to the north or Gwennap Head to the south-southeast. The white light has a range of 15 nautical miles (28 km; 17 mi), and the red sector light a slightly shorter range of 11 nautical miles (20 km; 13 mi). During poor visibility the fog horn sounds once every ten seconds.

Manufacture Date 1873
Lighthouse Construction 1873
Country United Kingdom
Commissioning Body Trinity House
Lens Order 1st order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character Fl (2) WR 10s
Lighthouse Markings 12.2 metres high, unpainted tapered cylindrical tower with white lantern and helipad on the top
Management Body Ports Authority Trinity House
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 50.0668965659,-5.7469144749
Other The diary of [John Bell describing life on the lighthouse in 1896](https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/about-us/history-of-trinity-house/from-the-archives/life-on-longships-lighthouse-in-1896) [Oral history](https://www.storylines.org.uk/2021/02/07/malcolms-memories-on-the-longships-lighthouse-sennen/)

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.