Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Lighthouse Location
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.
Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Canada
Little Denier Island Lighthouse is situated at the tip of the Eastport Peninsula in Bonavista Bay, the fishing community of Salvage. That a lighthouse was needed for the fishing lifestyle of this community is shown in 1869 when the community sent 10 vessels to the spring seal hunt and when 73 men sailed to the Labrador fishery in the summer. Further, growing industrialization of the 20th century would demand a navigational aid in the Newfoundland. The erection of a lighthouse would however take a considerable while.
In 1882 a lighthouse was proposed by Inspector of Lighthouses John T. Nevill for Little Denier Island off Salvage. Problematically, not enough money had been raised for a powerful light, the landing and road, and the Inspector advised the money to be used on a minor light on Goodman’s Island, at the entrance to Barrow Harbour, and that a powerful light be built for Bonavista Bay later. No lighthouse was built in the area as a result of the 1882 inspection trip. The lighthouse at Little Denier was finally constructed following Nevill’s return to Bonavista Bay in 1887, following a decision to have a lighthouse for the Bay.
The lighthouse construction entailed preparatory works such as constructing a road, the landing place to the summit, a store. The cast iron tower itself was ordered from Victoria Works, and lumber for the keeper’s dwelling was to be taken from Bonavista Bay. The necessary materials arrived during late May in 1888. Mr Conwick was in charge of erecting the iron tower, William Stowe was foreman and skilled labourers from St. John’s and the locality were used. Construction was completed in 14 weeks and the light was first put into operation on October 1st 1888.
The overall result was a visible, durable utilitarian structure that would withstand the Newfoundland coast's weather. Indeed, this lighthouse, standing 7.6m tall still, is the sole survivor of 26 lighthouses to be made from prefabricated iron and steel, that was inexpensive and easy to build. Beyond withstanding weather, the lighthouse is iconised by its keeper's dwelling's mansard roof, ball-shaped finial and arrow weathervane, lantern and cap, and its white and red vertical stripes. In terms of its light, it was given a revolving, six-sided lens which gave a white flash every thirty seconds at a focal plane of 90.8 metres.
The first light keeper was Robert Oakley, an assistant keeper on Cabot Island. Following Oakley’s tenure between 1888-1902, Henry Squires (1902-1930s), Robert Dyke, James Brown (-1960s) and Hunters would look after the light.
Changes in the light have occurred since the lighthouse’s erection in 1888. In 1920, the light source was changed to acetylene gas, reducing the range at which the light was visible from 19 to 10 miles. In 1927, the characteristic of the light was changed from a flash every thirty seconds to seven seconds of white light followed by a three-second eclipse. The light source was likely changed at this time from acetylene to kerosene, as the light could be seen from fifteen miles. In 1931, the light was changed back to acetylene and made an unattended light. Robert Dyke followed by a family of Hunters made trips to Little Denier Island about four times a year to change the gas cylinders. The light is now solar powered and flashes once every three seconds.
The tower was classified a Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1990.
| Manufacture Date | 1888 |
|---|---|
| Lighthouse Construction | 1888 |
| Country | Canada |
| Commissioning Body | Inspector John T Nevill |
| Lens Order | Holophotal |
| Lens Type | Revolving |
| Status | publish |
| Light Character | Flash once every 3 seconds |
| Lighthouse Markings | Red and white vertical stripes on the tower and keeper's dwelling. |
| Management Body Ports Authority | Canadian Coast Guard |
| Preserver | Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office |
| Coastal Erosion Vulnerability | |
| Climate Change Impact Observations | None |
| Condition Observations | None |
| Open Status (Site) | Closed |
| Open Status (Tower) | Closed |
| Coordinates | 48.6856402482,-53.589916 |
| Other | ARLHS CAN-663; CCG N-441; Admiralty H0543; NGA 1608. |
| Data Source | Websites |
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.