Little Cumbrae Lighthouse

United Kingdom

The 1793 tower was the 2nd lighthouse on Little Cumbrae, replacing a stone tower with a coal fire on the top built in 1757. The remains of the latter are still extant.
The tower (only 6m high) was refurbished several times, including 1860/61 when the chance lens was fitted. It was fully automated in 1977. It closed in 1997, replaced by a light on the old generator shed.

Manufacture Date 1860
Lighthouse Construction 1997 (station established 1757)
Country United Kingdom
Commissioning Body Port of Glasgow (now Clydeports/Peelports)
Lens Order 2nd order
Lens Type Fixed
Status publish
Light Character Fl W 6s on new (1997), active light
Lighthouse Markings None.
Lighthouse Parts Unknown.
Management Body Ports Authority Clydeports
Preserver n/A
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability 1
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 55.7211188748,-4.9670045586
Other The light helps mark the access channel between the Cumbrae Islands and the Isle of Bute to the west; the channel gives access to the large port of Glasgow and other harbours. Little Cumbrae is sometimes called Wee Cumbrae in deference to the local dialect. ARLHS SCO-123; Admiralty A4346; NGA 4336.
Inactive Chance Lens Deactivated 1997

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.