Booby Island Lighthouse

Australia

1890 the lighthouse was contructed by John and Jacob Rooney of Maryborough for £3,329. It was of timber frame with galvinised iron cladding. This was the last of the major lighthouses to be built. The lens was built on a rotating pedistal with a mercury bearings. the light source was an oil wick burner. There were 3 houses for the keepers and 1 for the relief keeper. In the 19th century there were so many shipwrecks in the area that extra provisions were kept on the island for the wrecked seamen.
1917 Light source changed to kerosene lamp
1961 Radio beacon installed.
1963 Converted to electricity
1991 Converted to solar power. The lens and mercury pedistal was removed and the mercury drained. /the lens and pedistal is on veiw in the Green Hill Fort museum on Thursday Island.
1992 The lighthouse was automated and demanned.
Apparently Capt William Bligh landed on Booby Island in 1789 during his 6000km voyage in an open 7m boat to Timor.

Manufacture Date 1886
Lighthouse Construction 1890
Country Australia
Lens Order 2nd order
Lens Type Revolving
Status publish
Light Character was F1.W.4s now F1.W10s
Lighthouse Markings White conical tower with red dome
Management Body Ports Authority Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Preserver Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations Maintained
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates -10.6041695,141.9108573207
Other photo acknowledgement: Lighthouses of Australia inc ARLHS AUS-011; Admiralty K3274; NGA 9620.
Data Source 1. Google.com 2. en.Wikipedia.org 3. Chance Lighthouses (1856-1917) (61 years), David Encill's list 1856-95: 1886; Holophotal revolving lights ordinary type

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.