Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
Lighthouse Location
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.
Featured: The Lighthouse Mapping Project - > Explore the Interactive Lighthouse Map
United Kingdom
Photo by DAVID ILIFF. License: creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0
Although it is said that a guiding light was established as early as 1670, it was not until 1828 that Trinity House engineering consultant James Walker erected Belle Toute Lighthouse, a 14 metre high circular tower, on the headland. This remained in operation till 1899 when it was abandoned due to being frequently shrouded in mist and threatened with collapse because of recurrent falls of chalk from the cliff.
In 1902 under the direction of Sir Thomas Matthews, the Trinity House Engineer-in-Chief, the present lighthouse was brought into service, sited about 165 metres seawards from the base of the cliffs. It took two years to complete and involved building a coffer dam and a cableway from the top of the cliffs to carry materials down to the site. 3,660 tons of Cornish granite were used in the construction of the tower.
For more than 80 years, the red-and-white striped tower was staffed by three lighthouse keepers. Their primary job was to maintain the revolving light, which was then visible 26 nautical miles (48 km; 30 mi) out to sea. For most of the 20th century cooking was done on a solid-fuel range and the accommodation was lit by paraffin lamps. Electricity first reached the lighthouse in 1975, whereupon an electric lamp was installed in the optic. The explosive fog signal remained in use until 1976 (when it was replaced by an 'ELG 500' electric emitter); at the time Beachy Head was one of the last lighthouses still using explosive signals. The lighthouse was fully automated in 1983 and the keepers withdrawn. The lighthouse's aids to navigation were converted to solar power operation in 2011 and further upgrades to the navigation light, control system and the solar power system were carried out in 2018.
A chalk fall on the cliff in 1999 severed the electric cable; during its repair the lamp and fog signal were replaced and upgraded. In June 2010, Trinity House announced in the five yearly "Aids To Navigation Review" that the light range would be reduced to 8 nmi (15 km; 9.2 mi) and the fog signal discontinued. In February 2011, the work was undertaken and light range reduced by the installation of a new LED navigation light system. The old lens, though no longer in use, was left in situ. The fog signal was also discontinued at this time.
The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.
| Manufacture Date | 1902 |
|---|---|
| Lighthouse Construction | 1902 |
| Country | United Kingdom |
| Commissioning Body | Trinity House |
| Lens Order | 1st order |
| Lens Type | Revolving |
| Status | publish |
| Light Character | Fl (2) 20s |
| Lighthouse Markings | 43m tall tower - tapered round granite tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a square concrete pier. Lighthouse painted white with a broad red horizontal band; lantern is also red. |
| Management Body Ports Authority | Trinity House |
| Preserver | Trinity House |
| Coastal Erosion Vulnerability | 1 |
| Condition Observations | Trinity House announced in 2011 that it could no longer afford to repaint the distinctive red and white stripes and that it would have to be left to return to its natural granite grey. It stated that because boats now have high tech navigational systems the day marker stripes are no longer essential. However, a sponsored campaign to keep the stripes was launched in October 2011. The required £27,000 was raised. The tower repainting was completed in October using a team including two abseilers. Five coats of paint were applied to the copper lantern at the top and three on each hoop of the tower. |
| Open Status (Site) | Closed |
| Open Status (Tower) | Closed |
| Coordinates | 50.7337482,0.2414668 |
| Other | Located on the beach below the Seven Sisters Cliffs about 5 km (3 mi) southwest of Eastbourne and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) east of the Belle Tout lighthouse. Site and tower closed; the lighthouse is best viewed, with care, from the clifftop above.In 2019 with the impending demolition of the Royal Sovereign Lighthouse, Trinity House has said it will increase the strength of Beachy Head light to compensate for the loss of Royal Sovereign.ARLHS ENG-005; Admiralty A0840; NGA 1140. |
You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.