Bass Rock Lighthouse

Scotland

The lighthouse was engineered by David A Stevenson and was first lit on 1st November 1902.
The cost of the lighthouse was £8087:10:4d and guards the approach to Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth. The rock itself is a huge crag rising out of the sea to a height of 106 metres.
The light was fitted with a first order revolving optic supplied by Chance Brothers of Smethwick near Birmingham.
The light was demanned in 1988 and automated with a new Biform ML300 Synchronised electric bifilament 20 watt lamp. It is now remotely monitored by the NLB.
The original Chance optic is now kept in the Coastal Communities Museum, School Road, North Berwick. EH39 4JU. Present opening times are Wednesday to Saturday 11-4.
The Bass Rock is famous worldwide for its nesting seabirds with colonies including puffins, razorbills, guillemots, cormorants and most famously gannets known by their latin name of Sula Bassana.
The Rock is not normally open to visitors though there are sometimes trips that land on the rock or circumnavigate the rock from the nearby harbour at North Berwick.

Manufacture Date 1901
Lighthouse Construction 1902
Country Scotland
Commissioning Body Northern Lighthouse Board.
Lens Order 1st order
Lens Type Revolving
Status publish
Light Character Fl (3) W 20s
Lighthouse Markings White 20 metre high tower with double balcony, black lantern and cupola. The lighthouse has an ochre coloured ring from the first balcony to the base of the lantern.
Lighthouse Parts None known.
Management Body Ports Authority Northern Lighthouse Board
Preserver Northern Lighthouse Board
Coastal Erosion Vulnerability
Condition Observations The lighthouse appears in a good state of repair.
Open Status (Site) Closed
Open Status (Tower) Closed
Coordinates 56.0765838114,-2.6409405678
Other ARLHS SCO-018; Admiralty A2864; NGA 2344.
Data Source Online research.

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.