Mew Island Lighthouse

United Kingdom. Northern Ireland

Mew Island light on the Copeland Islands, County Down, was established in 1884. Its celebrated hyper-radial optic — the Great Light — is a biform hyper-radial built by Chance Brothers in the 1920s from eight panels of the 1887 Barbier & Fenestre lens originally made for Tory Island, and was first lit at Mew Island on 1 September 1928. The optic was removed in 2014 and is now on public display at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast; the lighthouse remains active with a modern LED.

Lighthouse Construction 1884
Country United Kingdom. Northern Ireland
Lens Order Hyper-radial
Lens Type Biform hyper-radial revolving — Chance Brothers reconstruction (1920s) of the 1887 Barbier & Fenestre Tory Island lenses; first lit at Mew Island 1928.
Status publish
Coordinates 54.69872,-5.51373
Data Source Added via LUX Light Archive (Vasily Korablev, lux143.org). Source(s): https://www.greatlighttq.org/about/history/the-great-light-unravelling-its-past/, https://www.irishlights.ie/tourism/our-lighthouses/mew-island.aspx

Some information on this page was contributed by the LUX Light Archive (Vasily Korablev), reused with permission.

Lighthouse Location

You can zoom out to see the full world map of Lighthouses, or even try dragging Pegman onto the map to see the Lighthouse on Street View.